Opel has presented a preview of the third generation of its Vivaro van. The new model will be available at dealerships in late summer, with the electric version expected to be available in 2020.
PSA-owned Opel will offer the new generation Vivaro as a cargo van, double cab for up to six passengers, flatbed and station wagon.
For the first time, the vehicle is presented in three length variants: 4.60 metres, 4.95 or 5.30 metres. With a maximum cargo volume of 6.6 cubic metres, up to 1,400 kg can be transported, 200 kg more than before, according to Opel data.
The same applies to the van’s towing capacity: weighing up to 2,500kg, the new Vivaro carries half a tonne more than its predecessor.
Next year, the new generation of the van will also be available with a 100% electric drive, according to Opel. In early 2018, Opel boss Michael Lohscheller announced the company’s intention to electrify its vans.
They already announced that the new Zafira would have an electric version available in 2021. In the first half of 2019, the Rüsselsheim-based German company will open the order book for two other electric models, including the new Elektro-Corsa and the Grandland X as plug-in hybrid. In addition, the manufacturer promises the electrification of the Mokka X.
It seems that Opel is slowly gaining momentum in its electrification project, mainly thanks to the PACE restructuring plan presented in November 2017.
With this plan, Opel aims to return to profitability in the PSA Group as of 2020. Consequently, all of Opel’s European passenger car series will also have an electric version in 2024.
- SolarCar, an energy self-sufficient solar car, 25 students, 31 countries, 15,000 km
- When is the best time to recharge your electric car?
- Charge-bot wants to turn any parking space into a recharging space for electric vehicles with its Ziggy robot
- A German manufacturer develops a “wear-free” electric motor, ideal for high-performance electric vehicles
- SuperWheel, the “super wheel” that uses the cyclist’s weight to propel the bicycle